Monday, March 16, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #75: Watching Watchmen instead of Working

I spent much of the day working away at paperwork and was thrilled for the chance to walk away from it at the end of the day for a visit in Toronto.

I wasn't feeling fantastic, having a bit of a bout of sinus congestion which was giving me quite the headache, but still, I managed to squeeze out a dinner with Sonya (in a bit of an odd little restaurant) and a movie (Watchmen in IMAX).

I know there have been those who have criticized the movie, but I really liked it. I had read the graphic novel, so perhaps I knew more than some what I was in for. I wonder how many are disappointed because they go looking for an action movie and, while there is action, that's not really where the focus is. There were changes to the material, of course, and maybe some purists are up-in-arms over that. Some changes are made out of necessity (taking out the subplot -- not quite the right word -- about the young guy reading the Black Freighter) and a fairly significant change was made to the ending, but none of these particularly bothered me. I don't think they changed the intent of the material enough to concern me.

Top that off by having Sonya not mind when I posed on the escalator (even if a guy a few steps back did have a problem with it), and it was all a much-appreciated break from the grind of paperwork. Thanks, Sonya!

1 comment: