Monday, March 9, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #68: No Line on the Horizon

I'm on a mission now. By the end of this weekend, I willbe caught up here. I've got piles of paperwork still to be done, but I'm going to work entries here into the official schedule for getting everything done. Bear with me.

I know that, in some circles anyway, it has somehow become out of vogue to admit that one is still a U2 fan. I assume it's just that case of "they're huge and successful and so you're supposed to be cynical about them" that happens quite often.

In any case, I picked up their new CD No Line on the Horizon and am thrilled with it. There are songs that harken back quite distinctly to the Achtung Baby days, others that are quite reminiscent of Boy and War, and a few that would fit quite nicely in with All That You Can't Leave Behind.

On the first listen-through, I took note of a beautiful song called "White as Snow" and on the second listen I realized at least part of why it appeals to me so much. Whether intentional or not, its melody is distinctly influenced by "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", my all-time favourite Christmas song (and one of the oldest songs still sung today).

What I like about the album, as well, is that U2 has continued to say something for those who bother listening to lyrics. I'm not talking about anything preachy or pious (despite those that condemn Bono for speaking out politically, a condemnation I don't understand -- shouldn't people speak out if they're in a position to do so?) but the lyrics of several songs have avoided the triteness that often permeates the pop/rock market.

It's a great CD and I'm happy not to be disappoined.

(I also picked up War Child: Heroes, a benefit CD that's pretty darned good, too. You'd think Bob Dylan's "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" was written for Beck!)

3 comments:

Keltie said...

Ha! The 'lullabye' that I sing for Shaughnessy every time I'm with her is MLK.

Jerome said...

I like that image.

Sonya said...

Keltie - you're officially the coolest Mom EVER!!!