Sunday, January 4, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #4: A Walkable Neighbourhood

I frequently take walks to the postbox in my neighbourhood. Although there are two postboxes within three minutes of my house, I usually walk a few blocks further to one near my old house. Why? Because something's gotta get me off the couch, right?

In any case, upon mentioning this the other day, Sonya pointed out that, while she quite likes her neighbourhood, she's not sure that late night solo walks are a great idea. That got me thinking about the relative comfort with which I can roam.

I can't claim that my community is without its violent past. Horrible atrocities occurred in the memorable past in my city. Violent crimes have taken place more recently, a few times very near my home.

But the reality is that I don't feel any concern wandering the neighbourhood in the wee hours of the morning. I don't need to keep my head down and avoid eye contact. Sure, I've enountered hoodlumish types (during the warmer weather), but I don't walk by worried that they're going to hassle me (and I prefer that they don't start).

Compared with some urban centres, and certainly compared with the instability with which people live every day in various places around the world, I have a startling amount of safety in my neighbourhood, and for that, I'm grateful.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

That is a wonderful feeling.

Anonymous said...

Me too! I am also grateful to have such a wonderful friend so close by.

Anonymous said...

Yes, living so close to my friend Anonymous has been a treat. (Waitaminnit...)