Sunday, January 25, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #25: Congregationally Speaking

The church which I attend has a distinctly aging population. Indeed, most of the small congregation is roughly double my age or more. Yes, I could attend other churches with a younger crowd, hipper music, and whatnot, but the people at my church are genuinely lovely, compassionate, and caring people who take an interest in my work and life, and I love 'em dearly.

I was talking with one woman -- a wonderful retired teacher in her sixties who wears her heart on her sleeve and certainly qualifies as a friend -- today about many of the good things happening with work as well as some of the current issues which give me cause for concern, and she listened with sincere interest and empathy. She definitely understands my reasons and passions for doing what I do, and has often been a source of encouragement through the years. I'm deeply thankful for such supportive, warm people who, though generationally removed from me, are not removed from me humanly. I'm sure we differ in some of the specifics of our views (I'm certainly more liberal in my views than most of them), but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, does it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly how a church should feel. I'm glad you found them.

s