Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #13: An Outlet

Over in dullgloomy, I have a strict rule against talking about work. I haven't put quite as strict a restriction on things here, since things are bound to occasionally occur at/related to work for which I'm thankful.

I'm a teacher. Alright, it's out there. (I feel like I should be in a meeting, sitting in a circle.)

In any case, specific to this entry, I spent the afternoon in a meeting with a group of colleagues -- teachers and important-consultant-types -- talking about the Arts. Not only do I get to work on this project with our Arts Consultant (who is amazing and lovely and great fun to be around), but it brings to mind one of the reasons I am glad that I do what I do for a living.

My job gives me a constant creative outlet. I've worked in jobs that did not provide those opportunities (lumber mill, pipes and fittings factory, to name a couple) and found it difficult. I really need to use the creative side of my brain. Teaching lets me explore and grow all the time. As I work on new projects with my students, I go through the "newness" of it along with them. If I were not a teacher, would I have ever started choreographing, playwrighting, designing, directing, and a hundred other things? I don't know. I'd certainly be doing something to deal with my creative energy, but I'm not sure I'd have so many great opportunities and excuses to do so.

There are many things about my job for which I'm grateful (though naturally it's not entirely a bed of roses), and I'm sure a few others will put in an appearance here, but for today, I was particularly thankful for the opportunities it has provided me to get in there and try new things, pushing me to learn and explore creatively.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think of work as that period I time where I do what I need to in order to earn money. The creative outlet exists elsewhere. You are very fortunate!

Anonymous said...

It is much too rare of an occurrence for people to discover their gift and have the opportunity to realise it as well. I'm so happy that you recognized your calling at such a young age that you have embraced it in a way that has touched yours and your student's lives so profoundly.

s