Monday, January 26, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #26: The Moyses

Waaaaaaay back in the day, when I was a young poppet living in Kingston, there was an elderly couple who attended our church. I believe their names were Harold and Ina Moyse. They were kind, sweet, gentle seniors who always had a smile and, more often than not, a candy or two in their pocket or purse for anyone under the age of 12.

Since my only living grandparents were overseas in England, they sort of unofficially took my brothers and I as make-believe grandchildren. I remember going over to their place, now and then, with my family for dinner or tea -- I seem to associate them with pie -- and at the holidays they would have little gifts for us. Nothing big, mind you, but those little FunPad activity pads and the like. There was just a simple, endearing sense of them looking out for us in their small way.

I'm quite sure that both of them have long since passed on, but I still remember them with great fondness. I would have liked them to have known that their small kindnesses hadn't been forgotten over the years.

No comments: