Saturday, January 3, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #3: Selfless Line People

I was out running a few necessary errands (got a new instabed and a new cell phone, among other things) and needless to say, the stores are a bit busy with the post-Christmas rush. Between "Boxing Week Sales" and returns and exchanges, there's still quite the mass-of-humanity experience to be dealt with.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. People seemed, in general, to be in very good spirits. Politeness and courtesy was found almost everywhere I went. When I held the door open for one older couple, they were all smiles and thank-yous, and you would think I was giving them a lollipop!

I think my favourite moment, and therefore my thanks of the day, came when I was waiting in a rather slowly-moving line at a cash register. The woman two people ahead had an item with no barcode on it, and over-the-intercom conversations were not proving terribly fruitful.

I heard a very fun, laughing couple a short distance behind me in line, chatting with one another and then I heard them suggest that the guy behind them go ahead. "You've only got a couple of things," the woman said. "We have tonnes. Go on ahead."

Given that things were already moving slowly, I sincerely appreciated (though it didn't directly affect me at all) that they were so easy-going and that they were just choosing to be pleasant and helpful to a stranger.

Thank you, selfless line people!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Wow! New bed & new phone all in one day, impressive!

I'm sooo glad you found some pleasantries on your errands today as The Dufferin Mall didn't quite have the same atmosphere...