Friday, February 20, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #51: Employment Opportunities (Part II)

I was ridiculously sick all weekend and wasn't able to post here. Seriously. You know under the weather? Go under the weather, look down, find a soft spot in the dirt, and start digging. When you get far enough for it to be sludgy and gross and dark and cold, climb in. Stay there all weekend. I'm now trying to make up for lost time here.

When a position opened up at the school where I presently teach, I definitely wanted it.

I'd done my student teaching there and loved the school's philosophy, families, and style. I'm not one of those people who think every other school's bad; I just really think that great things happen at the wee school where I am.

In any case, there's always a lengthy series of steps that a job posting has to go through. As a teacher who now had a contract, but not a full-time contract, I had to wait several postings before I was even eligible to apply.

Here's where the appreciation comes in.

The principal at the time was a very strong-willed (in a very good way) woman who kept me up to date on how the process was going and assured me frequently that she was doing what she could to get things to the point where I could finally apply.

Ironically, I don't believe this principal was originally one of my biggest fans. I'm not convinced that I had exactly won her over during my days as a long-haired student teacher and probably not even in the brief interim of supply teaching, either. The staff at the school was behind me, though, and she trusted them and so she supported me.

At long last, the time came when I could apply and sit the interview and lo and behold, I got the job. And whether or not she was originally a fan of mine, she gave me a fair shake and ended up being very supportive of me both then and through the years afterwards, when she went on to be Superintendent of Special Education, even encouraging me to apply for jobs that were coming up under her department. (Obviously I chose to stay where I was. The time didn't seem ripe for leaving.)

So, for your support back in the early years of my career, thanks, Marlene!

No comments: