Sunday, February 1, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #32: Signs of Improvement (Pet Edition)

Lately, my pet tarantula's behaviour has been unusual and I was getting a bit worried. I didn't think much of it when she dug out a little space in the substrate beneath a piece of bark and spent some quality time there -- she often digs little ditches in which to sit -- but after a few days of her not emerging, even when I gave her new water, I was starting to get concerned.

My first thought was that the bark had fallen onto her and hurt her, so I moved it gently out of the way (probably to her chagrin) but although she appeared physically unharmed, she stayed in her little ditch through the next day.

I went to buy her some crickets, to see if food would perk her up. She eats very seldom, about every six weeks, and she wasn't 'due' for another feeding, but I still thought that food was worth a shot. I dropped a few in and she grabbed them quickly. Over the next day or so, I gave her a good meal of crickets and since then she has emerged, spending time in various little corners and nooks of her aquarium. I hope she'll be back to normal soon, because the thought of her being on her last legs wasn't appealing. I'm quite attached to the little creature!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Xan is ok. I'm sure she will be.