Thursday, April 30, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #120: Literacy

You know that saying, "If you want something done, give it to a busy person?" Well, that often seems to pan out in my life.

In the midst of an insanely busy period, I've managed to finish three books in the past week. Don't misunderstand: they were all books I'd started a while back but just wasn't getting around to as much as I'd like. In the past few days, I've sat down quite reliably at the end of the day to take a breather and to read for half an hour or so.

But all of that is merely the prologue to the main point of this entry, which is that I'm so glad I'm a reader.

I'm not even going to get into the blessings of an education when people all around the world are deprived of basic education for many reasons.

Instead, I am simply going to focus on the fact that I'm incredibly grateful to be a reader. I love reading to the point of being a little bit OCD about it. (My reading of choice is books, but I read a variety of other odd things, too, including the backs of every single bottle of soap and shampoo I purchase.) Although I'm a lover of television and movies, there's still nothing quite like reading a good book.

During the summer I usually take a week and go off to a place with no cable and read for eight hours a day. And strangely enough, I don't miss the television at all when I'm there. Perhaps I should take a year off TV at some point, just to get through some of the dozens of books waiting on my shelves to be read.

Well, maybe a few months.

Maybe when nothing much is on anyway.

(At this point, Sonya will stop shaking her head and make a snide comment, I'm sure.)

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh you're wrong, I started much earlier on in the entry.

albie said...

This reminds me a lot of the comment I made on my own blog, last March 13, about the beauty of a great book!