Friday, April 10, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #100: A Renewing

Today was spent hanging out, watching movies, and eating fondue with Sonya. That's enough for which to be thankful, but it makes for a short entry; therefore, I'll instead write about The Renewing and Improving of a Friendship.

I've known Sonya for many years ... over twenty, I suppose. We lived for a period in the same town, went to the same church and high school, and were generally pleasant with one another. We weren't necessarily bosom chums, but we got along, liked one another, and were both slightly scoffed at by our parents for our enjoyment of a certain story (though Sonya no doubt was an aficionado of the film alone while I was a lover of both film and books). Regardless, that's basically how it was.

Off Sonya went into the world (with a slight disdain for the small town in which we lived, I'm sure -- Ha!) and we didn't talk much for some time. There were the occasional Hey-how-are-you-doings, but not much more.

Then a few years ago, we somehow reconnected. I know I received an e-mail inviting me to go and see Wicked (I couldn't go, but fear not, for I have seen it regardless), but I'm not sure exactly the sequence of things. Did that come as our first contact in a while? I do know there was another stretch in there of minimal contact, and then at some point we started chatting regularly.

We got together to go to an event in Toronto at which Keltie was exhibiting some masks she'd made and that was the first time we had actually gotten together in ages. And suddenly we were reconnected and our friendship was officially renewed.

Since then we've done a show together (and despite her fears to the contrary, it was just fine having her "invade my life" to do so) and generally built upon that vague friendship from years ago. I'm glad that we've reconnected, find her terribly enjoyable, and feel quite honoured that she's one of several friends from "way back" who continue to be part of my life.

Thanks for popping back into my weird little sphere, Sonya!

(And I bet you're ridiculously impressed that you landed on #100, too. Ego. Ha!)

2 comments:

Sonya said...

You see! This blog IS about me!!! Ha!

Thank you so much my friend. I'm baffled as to how I survived all those years without you in my life.

Hooray for Keltie's mask exhibit!

Jerome said...

I'm surprised you survived, too.

And I agree about Keltie's mask show! (I seem to recall there being other stuff going on there, too, but can't for the life of me remember what it could have been.)