Saturday, April 25, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #115: Betsy

Today I spent a little time with Betsy preparing a song I'll be singing tomorrow.

Therefore, it's time for an entry expressing gratitude for her.

Betsy and I first met when I was a student teacher and served my time at a placement at the school where she worked. Though I wasn't working in her class, it was a small school, so I got to know her -- a little bit. When the university had trouble placing all of their students during the second semester, she offered her classroom, but the university refused saying we had to spread my experience around.

(Don't worry, though. I won in the end, in a manner. I now teach in her old classroom!)

Where we really got to know each other was on the picket line during my first year out of school. She was several months pregnant and had a lovely lawn chair to sit on by the roadside when necessary. The small group of us spent plenty of quality time chatting while picketing, eating treats brought to us by supportive parents.

Later on, it was Betsy who somehow coerced me into working at the interactive dinner show where she'd worked for years. Later still, she essentially forced me to audition for my first community theatre show, and thus my secondary occupation on and around the stage began.

Throughout the years, we've been excellent friends and she's an endless source of amusement, encouragement, and general helpfulness. She helps me prepare for auditions, accompanies me when I sing in church, has helped to write and arrange music for shows I've written, and generally encouraged me to get off my duff and exercise some creativity. As mentioned earlier, she's had me helping with her school musical, giving me a chance to work with older kids for a change.

On top of all this, she's a massively talented and compassionate person. I'm honoured to be among those who are blessed to know her.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

The two of you are both truly inspiring!