Thursday, September 10, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #134: Arby's Girl

I was going to write today's entry in honour of Glynnis's birthday today, but between yesterday and today, I started worrying that if I did that, people whose birthdays weren't acknowledged here might get their noses out of joint, perceiving that as a slight which wasn't intended at all. Suffice it to say that Glynnis is a friend and colleage worthy of gratitude and we'll move on. Plus, giraffes are funny.

Yet another fast food experience brought amusement and a miniature smile to me today. I need to eat more fast food, because clearly it brings a lot of joy into my life.

I hadn't intended to pick anything up tonight, but having had a little after-work snack and then going to Betsy's to look at some music, and then running to Business Depot to exchange labeller tape, I was a bit hungry and driving past Arby's so there I ended up.

The girl behind the counter took my order, looked up and said, "Is that natural?" It took me a moment to register what she meant, and the pause was long enough for her to recognize it.

"Is that your natural colour? I really like it."

(For those not in my immediate vicinity these days, my hair currently has a red sheen to it thanks to my random acts of dying which I do from time to time on a whim.)

"No," I replied. "It's just my back to school hair."

Off she went to do other things, and then, upon returning, she asked, "So where do you go?"

"Pardon me?"

"Where do you go to school?"

At this point, she was my favourite person in the world for preferring to think that I was attending school rather than teaching it ... for well over a decade. So that's why I replied:

"You're my favourite person ever. I teach."

She looked a little surprised, and then recovered. "Oh. So, where do you teach, then?"

Thank you, Arby's Girl.

No comments: