Saturday, September 5, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #129: More than 24 Years

Today is Keltie's birthday.

Keltie is among my oldest and dearest friends, given that I've known her now for almost 25 years. She moved to Kingston back when I lived there, also, and it took about thirty-five seconds for us to become good friends.

Part of what makes our story interesting is that a few months later, I moved away. We only lived in the same city for a short time, but all of these years later, our friendship remains. We don't see one another in person nearly as much as we should, but any time we get together, I am reminded of why she's so darned great.

Apart from Keltie's many smashing traits and qualities (including but not limited to wit, intelligence, humour, beauty, charm, and excellent vocabulary), she's also immensely talented. She is a smashing writer (and once wrote a personal essay about vomit that made me laugh uncontrollably and out loud in a dorm room) and a skilled artist (working in several media, including mask-making). She has also very successfully produced another human being, with the assistance of Andrew.

Just a few highlights of Keltie memories from the years? Swimming in John's backyard pool. Her ill-fated grade five romance with Bobby. Cassette letters (both solo and with the aforementioned John) involving such subject matter as "Making Hotdogs" and "Stop Hitting Me". Making me the envy of the university mail room by frequent letter-writing. The Three-Letter Word Game. Displaying feminine products in a restaurant. And, of course, general and frequent hilarity.

Happy Birthday, and thanks for all of the ways you've contributed to my life! I miss you. Let's get together soon.

1 comment:

Keltie said...

And OH, do I suck at life. It is shameful that someone had to point this post out to me, but I had not realized you'd posted it since I'd fallen out of the habit of checking every day and ... well ... I suck.

HOWEVER, I am so very, very thankful for this and you and for having known you for so long! We really do need to get together soon.