Sunday, September 6, 2009

Random Act of Gratitude #130: Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed

Today I had a lovely encounter with a squirrel.

I was sitting on my porch reading and drinking tea, when a little rustle in the grass drew my attention. There was a little squirrel, darting about with a peanut in its jaws and seemingly scoping out some prime burial locations. Funnily enough, despite its frequent pausing and scratching, it never seemed quite satisfied with any given place.

Several times, it paused in its journey and looked up at me as if to say, "Seriously. Is there nowhere to put this thing?"

Shortly, its travels brought it into the porch where it faced me and tried to stare me down. It even did that little sit-on-its-haunches-and-be-cute thing for a while before finally meandering on its way, peanut still in hand ... er ... mouth.

It was the least nervous squirrel I think I've ever encountered, and I'm quite confident that the two of us now qualify as friends.

Go, little squirrel! I hope you found a good place to stash your peanut!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Ha ha! You're cute :)